Start time: 0800h (08:00am)
Duration: 8 hours
Tour returns to the original departure point
Pompeii was buried under lava and ash from Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and lay forgotten for hundreds of years. The well preserved ruins of this ancient city now offer an insight into Roman history. Frescoes and mosaics adorn some of the walls of its structures, like the Dionysiac Frieze and the city has baths, an amphitheatre, Roman temples and brothels.
The still active Mount Vesuvius is also a must visit in Italy and offers a panoramic view of the Bay of Naples from its summit. A great way to discover the history of Italy, a tour of the forgotten city of Pompeii is like stepping into a world where time stands still.
The tour starts from Una Hotel at 0800h (08:00am). You will travel by coach accompanied by a guide. You will travel to the ruins of the Roman city of Pompeii. Pompeii is one of the most important archaeological sites in Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Pompeii was buried under lava and ash from Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and lay forgotten for hundreds of years. Excavations began in the 18th century and are still being carried out. Your guide will take you along the ancient streets of Pompeii for a glimpse into the lives of the Romans.
Your guided tour includes a visit to some of these well preserved structures:
• Anfiteatro - the oldest known Roman amphitheatre, it was capable of holding upto 20,000 spectators
• Palestra - an athletic field with a beautiful portico
• Terme Stabiane - a 2nd century BC bath complex
• Lupanaro - Pompeii’s brothel, it has murals depicting the services offered
• Il Faro - this structure has some well preserved statues and paintings
• Casa del Fauno - the ‘House of Faun’, it had a beautiful mosaic that can now be seen in the National Museum of Naples
• Casa del Poeta Tragico - the ‘House of the Tragic Poet’, it is one of the buildings which still has mosaics on site
• Villa dei Misteri – this structure has a beautiful fresco, the Dionysiac Frieze, spanning the walls of the dining room
• Casa del Menandro - a patrician's villa which gets its name from a fresco of the Greek playwright, Menander
• Casa dei Vettii - the ‘Villa of the Mysteries’, it has what some consider the greatest surviving group of paintings from the ancient world
You could also visit the Casa dei Fuggiaschi, Teatro Grande e Piccolo and Palestra dei Gladiatori.
After your Pompeii Tour, set out for Mount Vesuvius, which dominates the Bay of Naples. The only active volcano on the mainland of Europe, its slopes were once covered with vineyards and woods. Take a guided tour of the crater, and enjoy a panoramic view of the bay. A single plume of smoke still rises from the blackened crater, a silent reminder that the volcano is only sleeping.
At the end of the tour you will be returned to Naples, arriving at around 1600h (4:00pm).
Please call the local activity operator at least 24 hours prior to the start of the tour to confirm the departure details.
Entrance fees to Vesuvius– approx € 6.50 per person and entrance fees to Pompeii’s ruins– approx € 11.00 per person are not included and must be paid on the day of the tour.
I thought this tour was very well organised and everything seemed to run very smoothly. One of the best aspects of the tour was the small size of the tour group - we only had...
Picked up as arranged, guide on coach also took us around Pompeii and was very informative. Good lunch at restaurant (spaghetti/meat/ice cream) not just a piece of pizza and a...
excellent tour of Mount Vesuvius and Pompeii. The guides were friendly, informative and we were well looked after. The only aspect that could be improved is the quality of the...
Pink really is pretty The post Jaipur: The City That’s Pretty in Pink – The Best Things to Do appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.
Walk in a Winter Wonderland. The post Lapland: Christmas All Year Round! Best Things to Do appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.
Make your way to San Jose The post Visiting San Jose: Best Things to Do in the Costa Rican Capital appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.
Sign up to our newsletter and get the best isango! has to offer