8 hoursStart time
Start time: 1015h (10:15am)
Duration: 8 hours
You have to make your own way to Molo Beverello.
Please report at the meeting point 15 minutes before the start time. This is mandatory to allow time for pre-departure briefing.
The tour returns to Beverello in Naples. It's 2 kilometers from Augusteo metro station.
Walk along the ancient streets of Pompeii for a glimpse into the lives of the Romans. Through the remains and ruins of this ancient city, you can picture the everyday life in the Imperial Age and imagine the panic felt by the people before the city was so disastrously buried.
You have to make you own way to Molo Beverello for your guided tour of Naples and Pompeii. The day starts with an orientation tour of Naples which will take you past the following sites:
• Piazza del Plebiscito: It is the largest square in Naples and is bounded on the east by the Royal Palace and on the west by the Church of San Francesco di Paola.
• Royal Palace: The Royal Palace of Naples is one of the four residences used by the Bourbon Kings. The 17th century palace visible today is a result of numerous renovations. Today, the palace and its adjacent grounds are home to the San Carlo theatre, a museum and the National Library of Naples.
• Basilica of San Francesco di Paola: It was built as an offering from Ferdinando di Bourbon after his return from exile in Palermo during the French occupation. Appreciate the circular shape of the church covered by an impressive dome, with lacunas and rosettes carved from limestone.
• San Carlo Opera House: It is the oldest, still active opera house in Europe and is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The theatre was designed by architects Angelo Carasale and Giovanni Antonio Medrano for the Bourbon king, Charles III of Naples. Appreciate its architecture, gold embellishments and the blue upholstery.
• Gallery of Umberto I : The gallery has the traditional Greek cross form and the glass dome. It was inaugurated in the 19th century. In the gallery, you will come across many shops and bars.
• Maschio Angioino: The fort is over 600 years old and is situated at Piazza Municipio. It was constructed by Charles of Anjou, when he took over Naples. Admire its decorative triumphal arch in white marble.
Leave the city and cross the fertile valley of Mount Vesuvius passing the towns of Ercolano, Torre del Greco and Torre Annunziata before arriving at Pompeii. Pompeii is one of the most important archaeological sites in Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was buried under lava and ash from Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and lay forgotten for hundreds of years. Excavations began in the 18th century and are still being carried out. Stop for lunch at a local restaurant in Pompeii.
Proceed to visit the excavations on foot. It will take you approximately 2 hours to see some of what has been discovered in more than 1700 years since Pompeii was covered by ashes during the eruption of Vesuvius. You will visit a coral and cameo factory, where you have the opportunity to admire and purchase items of this ancient craft, dating back to the Greek times.
After exploring Pompeii, return to Beverello in Naples.
Please call the activity operator at least 24 hours prior to start of the tour to reconfirm the departure details.
The confirmation voucher includes the local activity operator’s contact details and local telephone numbers at the destination. They will happily answer any logistical questions you may have.
Unusual concoctions, unbelievable vistas and impossible dexterity!
Discovering life after Uber