Approx 13 hoursStart time
From Cental Rome hotels (within the Aurelian Walls) between 6:30am and 7:15am.
(Please advise your hotel at the time of booking. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 24 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)
If you are not staying in central Rome the tour also starts from Via G. Amendola 32 at 7:30am.
You will be dropped in the vicinity of your hotel or Via G. Amendola 32.
The first stop is Naples where you will take a short orientation tour. Enjoy fabulous views of the Gulf of Naples and Mount Vesuvius from the hill of Posillipo. Wander around Piazza del Plebiscito, the largest square in Naples, home to the Royal Palace, Church of San Francesco di Paola and San Carlo theatre.
Continue to Pompeii where you will walk along the ancient streets for a glimpse into the lives of the Romans. Through the remains and ruins of this ancient city, you can picture the everyday life in the Imperial Age and imagine the panic felt by the people before the city was so disastrously buried. Your guided tour of Pompeii will be led by a local expert guide.
You will be picked up at 6:30am in a mini-bus from your central hotel in Rome. Accompanied by an expert guide, you will be taken in a coach on a tour of Naples.
Leave Rome in a southerly direction and take the Highway of the Sun crossing the fertile Roman countryside through the area known as Castelli Romani. Approximately halfway along the highway, you will be able to see the Abbey of Montecassino. The abbey is perched on a mountain and symbolises the endurance and resilience of Christian faith. It has been destroyed and rebuilt on four separate occasions, including the most recent, World War II.
Arrive at Naples and proceed towards the hill of Posillipo, from were you can enjoy spectacular views of the Gulf of Naples and the volcano, Vesuvius. Descend towards the port of Mergellina and follow the coastal road to arrive at the ancient fishing quarter of Santa Lucia. Here you will see the impressive Castel dell’Ovo (meaning Egg’s Castle), rising upon the islet of Megaride. It is the city’s oldest castle. Apparently, the name of the castle is linked to a medieval legend.
Continue on your Naples tour and see the following sites:
• Piazza del Plebiscito: It is the largest square in Naples and is bounded on the east by the Royal Palace and on the west by the Church of San Francesco di Paola.
• Royal Palace: The Royal Palace of Naples is one of the four residences used by the Bourbon Kings. The 17th century palace visible today is a result of numerous renovations. Today, the palace and its adjacent grounds are home to the San Carlo theatre, a museum and the National Library of Naples.
• Basilica of San Francesco di Paola: It was built as an offering from Ferdinando di Bourbon after his return from exile in Palermo during the French occupation. Appreciate the circular shape of the church covered by an impressive dome, with lacunas and rosettes carved from limestone.
• San Carlo Opera House: It is the oldest, still active opera house in Europe and is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The theatre was designed by architects Angelo Carasale and Giovanni Antonio Medrano for the Bourbon king, Charles III of Naples. Appreciate its architecture, gold embellishments and the blue upholstery.
• Gallery of Umberto I: The gallery has the traditional Greek cross form and the glass dome. It was inaugurated in the 19th century. In the gallery, you will come across many shops and bars.
• Maschio Angioino: The fort is over 600 years old and is situated at Piazza Municipio. It was constructed by Charles of Anjou, when he took over Naples. Admire its decorative triumphal arch in white marble.
Leave the city and cross the fertile valley of Mount Vesuvius passing the towns of Ercolano, Torre del Greco and Torre Annunziata before arriving at Pompeii. Pompeii is one of the most important archaeological sites in Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was buried under lava and ash from Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and lay forgotten for hundreds of years. Excavations began in the 18th century and are still being carried out.
Before your tour you will stop for lunch at a local restaurant in Pompeii.
You will then have a guided tour of Pompeii which will take around 2 hours. An expert guide will bring Pompeii back to life for you and show you many of the best-preserved relics.
On the way back to Rome you will visit a coral and cameo factory, where you have the opportunity to admire and purchase items of this ancient craft, dating back to the Greek times. The journey back to Rome will take you about 3 hours.
Please call the activity operator at least 24 hours prior to start of the tour to confirm all details.
The confirmation voucher includes the local activity operator’s contact details and local telephone numbers at the destination. They will happily answer any logistical questions you may have.
Will use again and the day was delivered as one would expect when on holiday, "Hassle Free"...Derek Taylor, United Kingdom, 27/Oct/2016
this is our first time to Naples and Pompeii we had a excellent day there and would do this again....miss p curnow, United Kingdom, 16/Mar/2016
Overall is good, if we could able to see more in the ancient city, that would be perfect....Cheung Wing Han Alice, Hong Kong, 24/Jun/2015
Amazing. Planning. Pick ups. Drop offs. The guides had been awesome
Great value for money and hassle free process when we arrived in Rome from hotel pick up to drop off, all went like clock work, which is what one wants when on holiday
Having a splash in Dubai
Think you know the Spanish capital? Think again...
Where shall we go next?
Isango is the Zulu word for ‘gateway’. Think of us as your gateway to the world.
“Isango” is the Zulu word for ‘gateway’; think of us as your gateway to the world.isango! is a specialist retailer of tours, experiences and attraction tickets. We work across 300+ destinations with more than 10,000 experiences to choose from. Working alongside the best local operators from around the world, we curate travel content, products and services, ensuring our customers are well informed and easily able to choose the right experience for them. We deliver only the best to our customers, with all isango! products handpicked by our expert travel team.Love Orlando Tickets Paris Magic Moments Continue reading