Spring is definatly in the air; the cold dark days of winter have long said their goodbyes and the signs of life have returned. It’s also the time when we all come out of our winter shells, ready to explore. If you are looking for a getaway this spring or summer, then the Spanish capital may well be the destination of choice.
Madrid is a city of delights, top class attractions and sumptuous food, nightlife other cities can only look upon with envy. Why, it’s often overlooked is a strange conundrum. Like other European capitals, it’s a gorgeous city of architecture with bucket load of history to learn about. Take a look at our best of places and the add these fun facts to your Madrid canon. It may just persuade you to get out there and explore the city.
10 Fun Facts about Madrid
- All in the name – Mystery surrounds the name, but legend suggests that Madrid was once called Ursaria. Because of the number of bears that inhabited the region. Some believe it comes from a Roman settlement, “Matrice’ or is it “Magerit’ from the Arabic meaning ‘place of water’? With so many options, you’ll have to decide for yourself.
- Heading up high – Madrid is one of the highest capitals in Europe. You’ll find yourself 667m, above sea level. Andorra’s capital, Andorra la Vella, is the only capital higher, and after all, that place is in the Pyrenees!
- Wow, that’s old – Anywhere you go you’ll find there are places that claim to be the oldest this and oldest that. Madrid’s fun fact is that Restaurante Botin, which was founded in 1725, is the oldest continuously operated restaurant in the world. Now that’s worth seeking out and trying.
- Better the devil you know – Enjoying a stroll in the beautiful Retiro Park? Look out for the only statue in the world, there’s that phrase again, of the devil. It’s called the Fountain of the Fallen Angel and was sculpted by Ricardo Bellver in 1878.
- Art lovers unite – Love a museum? Then Madrid is your kind of place. The city boasts some of the best and has three that are referred to as the Golden Triangle. The Prado Museum, The Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, and the Museo Reina Sofia. Happy wandering.
- Sun lovers – If you like the beating of the sun on the skin, with plenty of sunscreen, of course, then Madrid has over 300 days of sunshine. Cold in the winter, but a significant source of vitamin d.
- Green is the colour – Green spaces are becoming ever more important, and Madrid is actually one of the greenest cities you can visit. Over 300,000 trees and 6400 hectares of green space for you to explore, and enjoy.
- A Palace fit for the royals – The Royals of Spain are well known and you’ll no doubt want to visit Palacio Real. But you won’t spot a Royal, as their residence is in Palacio de la Zarzuela, which is on the outskirts of Madrid.
- Football is more than football – You are in Madrid, and football here, as it is in the rest of the country, is a religion. Real Madrid and Atletico are the two main teams in the city . I’ll let you decide which one is your favourite team.
- It’s attractive – With over 6 million visitors a year, each enjoying the trappings of the city, they can’t be wrong. Madrid is an attractive European city that will entertain you, whatever your aspirations.
And that’s Madrid!
Ok, you have a load of fun facts about Madrid, you are ready to explore and discover for yourself why so many like it here. The Spanish capital, a place well worth spending a weekend in.
Have you got a fun fact about Madrid we can add to our list? Comment and we’ll be sure to add it to the list. After all, nothing beats a good fact.