Approx. 8 hours
Your preferred start time
Your hotel or cruise ship in Naples. (Please mention your hotel details at the time of booking. Alternatively, please mention the name and docking details of your cruise ship. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 24 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)
Your hotel or cruise ship in Naples
You will be picked up from your hotel or cruise ship in Naples in a private air-conditioned car for your Private Naples City Sightseeing and Pompeii Tour. A private guide in your preferred language (English, French, German & Spanish) will accompany you throughout the tour.
You will travel into the sprawling, vibrant town of Naples for a visit lasting approximately 5 hours. You’ll be given a guided tour of the historic city, and then have free time to look around on your own.
While exploring, you can take time to relax in one of the excellent cafes or sample some of the renowned Neapolitan cuisine. Naples is the home of the pizza! (Meals and snacks are payable direct.)
Some major monuments you may see include:(note that entrance fees to any attractions are not included).
• Piazza Plebiscito: The most magnificent square in Naples, built in the form of an amphitheater and surrounded by wonderful buildings. It is named for the 1860 plebiscite that brought Naples into the unified Kingdom of Italy.
• Fortress of Maschio Angioino: Named after Charles I of Anjou, this great castle was begun in the late 13th century and modified later. A magnificent Triumphal Arch was added in the 15th century.
• Castel dell’Ovo: This means ‘Egg Castle’ in Italian. A 15th century structure on an island site that has been fortified since Roman times. The island is now joined to the mainland by a causeway.
• Capodimonte Museum: A grand Bourbon palace, formerly the summer home of the Kings of the Two Sicilies. It now contains Naples’ main museum and art gallery.
• Archaeological Museum: Houses many masterpieces of the ancient civilized world, including statues, paintings, mosaics, papyri, jewelry, coins and household items from Pompeii and Herculaneum.
After seeing the fascinating collection of Pompeian objects in the museum you will be keen to visit the place itself. The drive to Pompeii is approximately 30 minutes. Your guided tour of Pompeii is approximately 2 hours.
Pompeii is one of Italy’s most precious archeological sites and incredibly well preserved. Ancient Pompeii was wiped off the map in 79 AD – buried under 6 meters of volcanic ash – and was not re-discovered till nearly 1700 years later.
Although most of the Pompeii’s 20,000 inhabitants did not survive, much of their city did. This UNESCO World Heritage site has been carefully excavated to reveal its former glory.
The legacy of the disastrous eruption is an extraordinary insight into Roman life. You will stroll down streets grooved by chariot wheels, see stunning mosaics and murals in the villas and walk around the public baths. An ancient brothel is testament to the fact that the ‘oldest profession’ was actively pursued in wealthy Pompeii.
After this amazing trip into the past, you will be taken back to your hotel/cruise ship in Naples, where your tour ends.
Most cruise companies arrange their schedule so that ships dock around 0800h – 1200h to ensure that customers can have a full day’s sightseeing in the resort.
Guides are available in a range of languages (English, French, German & Spanish). However, these are private tours, therefore the guide will be speaking only one language.
Please call the activity operator at least 24 hours prior to start of the tour for reconfirming departure details.
Working in a travel company, it’s a delight to see how the world is taking little steps to normalcy again. It’s like winning a war that no one was prepared to fight, yet emerged victorious, renewing hopes of a world that heals itself with optimism. I jump for joy every time a mail pops up … Continue reading "COVID-19 Travel Updates: Now Open! These Countries are welcoming Tourists"
Sign up to our newsletter and get the best isango! has to offer