10 Mar - 15 Dec: DailyDuration
As per your convenienceStart time
10:00am - 06:00pmMeeting Point
Tour begins at National Mall at 955 L’Enfant Plaza SW, North Building, Washington, DC 20024.
Metro (suggested): Take Green, Yellow, Orange or Blue line to L’Enfant Plaza Metro Station. Follow signs for “L’Enfant Plaza” exit; above the exit, you will see large circular artwork of a dog wearing a spacesuit (against a white background). At the top of the escalator, turn right (you will see a Starbucks) and exit to the outside. Walk towards the square brown Metro pole ahead and turn right and go up the stairs. At the top of the stairs, turn right and walk towards the Plaza. Bike and Roll DC is the first storefront in the first building on the right.
DRIVING and PARKING: Use address 970 D St SW Once there, you will be under an overpass and should see signs for L’Enfant Plaza Parking. Once parked, take the elevator to Plaza Level (PL), exit the building and walk to your right. There is limited metered street parking one level up along L'Enfant Plaza. If parked on the street, navigate on foot to 470 L’Enfant Plaza SW.
FOOT/BIKE: Use the address 470 L’Enfant Plaza SW Navigate to intersection of Independence Ave and L’Enfant Plaza SW. You should see the Smithsonian Castle/Visitor Center. From there, cross Independence Avenue and take the sidewalk of L’Enfant Plaza for 1 1/2 blocks. Make your first left just before the construction. Walk past the building lobby to the end of the sidewalk.
TAXI: Use address 475 L'Enfant Plaza SW At this address, you will see a large building under construction. Face the new building, cross the street and take the sidewalk to the left. Walk past the building lobby to the end of the sidewalk.
The tour ends at the starting point
Washington DC’s most popular monuments and memorials are easily accessible by bike and you'll find that a bicycle is the perfect vehicle for touring and sightseeing. Visit its myriad attractions by riding safely on paths, trails and sidewalks.
Take your bike to a Smithsonian museum, cycle along the Potomac River, or head to the presidential and war memorials. If you're looking for a longer ride the area boasts an extensive network of scenic bike paths such as the Capital Crescent Trail and C&O Canal, the Mount Vernon and Curtis Trails, Rock Creek Park and the W&OD Trail.
Whether you're a first-time visitor to DC or a local wishing to rediscover your city, this self-guided bike tour promises to be loads of fun!
You will receive your comfort hybrid bike, helmet (mandatory for children, ages 16 and under), a handlebar bag, bike tube, pump, lock and a city map when you start the tour.
Explore the Washington DC area by creating your own itinerary and enjoy the freedom to stop and explore at leisure.
You could ride past the following landmarks:
• Union Station: Begin your cycle ride from this historic train station that houses numerous tourist shops and an upscale shopping mall.
• The White House: This is possibly the most photographed building in the world and the greatest symbol of power. Every president but George Washington has lived in this Executive Mansion.
• Capitol Hill: One of America’s most historic and famous neighbourhoods.
• Smithsonian Castle Building: This was established by British scientist, James Smithson, who sent his fortune in 100 bags of gold for “the increase and diffusion of knowledge”. It serves as the first endowment of the Smithsonian Institution, which has now grown to 15 buildings and complexes.
• Smithsonian Air and Space Museum: This is the most visited museum in the world. The museum on the Mall houses the largest collection of historic air and spacecraft in the world.
• National Galleries of Art: Find out which museum was the site of the country’s first presidential assassination. It houses pieces from the world’s finest artisans over the last 3 centuries.
• Smithsonian Natural History: This is the second most visited museum in the world and houses the famous Hope Diamond and so much more.
• Smithsonian American History Museum: This museum collects anything possible, but got its start with the original flag for the United States and the story behind it.
• The Washington Monument: This pinnacle structure is dedicated to the founder of America, George Washington and is the centrepiece of the National Mall.
• Also see the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, WWII Memorial, Old Executive Building and more.
If you're looking for a longer ride the area boasts an extensive network of scenic bike paths such as the Capital Crescent Trail and C&O Canal, the Mount Vernon and Curtis Trails, Rock Creek Park and the W&OD Trail.
At the end of an exhilarating experience, return on your bike to the starting point, where your tour ends.
Helmets are mandatory for children, ages 16 and under. Children's trailer tandems and burley trailers are available at extra cost. Please indicate which child attachment will be needed when calling the local activity operator to confirm availability
The tour may be cancelled for safety concerns such as high winds, thunderstorms, excessive heat or cold, or other severe conditions. In the event of such a cancellation, you may either reschedule or request a full refund
Photo ID required at time of rental.
The confirmation voucher includes the local activity operator’s contact details and local telephone numbers at the destination. They will happily answer any logistical questions you may have.
Away days in Germany
Put out the bunting, there's a royal wedding
Time to head to Goa?