6 - 8 hoursStart time
6 - 8 hoursMeeting Point
Your hotel in Delhi. (Please advise your hotel at the time of booking. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 24 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)Ending Point
Your hotel in Delhi
The busy shopping district of Chandni Chowk, once the capital of the Mughal king Shah Jehan where one is said to be able to buy “anything under the sun” is one of the highlights of this tour. Also see the tomb of Emperor Humayun and the India Gate, a monument built to honour the Indian soldiers who died in World War I.
You will be picked up from your hotel and travel in an air-conditioned vehicle accompanied by a guide for a sightseeing tour of Delhi, the capital of India. Visit the following famous landmarks of New Delhi:
• Qutub Minar: The tallest hand carved brick minaret in the world at 72.5 metres, it is one of the finest examples of Indo- Islamic architecture. In the same complex is a mosque and an iron pillar, which has not rusted even after 1500 years.
• Humayun’s Tomb: The mausoleum of the Mughal Emperor Humayun, it was built in 1570 by the emperor’s widow, Haji Begum. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it was the first garden tomb of India and a forerunner of the Mughal style of architecture, with high arches and formal gardens (charbagh).
• Lakshminarayan Temple: The temple was constructed by the Birla family of industrialists in the 19th century. The presiding deity is Lakshmi Narayan and the temple has a hall decorated with beautiful paintings depicting scenes from Indian mythology.
There will be a break for lunch (payable direct).
You will drive past:
• India Gate: A 40 metre high war memorial arch dedicated to Indian soldiers who died in World War I.
• Rashtrapati Bhawan: The President's residence and formerly the Viceroy's Palace, this building is constructed on top of Raisina Hill. The highlight of Lutyen’s Delhi, it is an impressive sight, particularly when it is lit up.
• Parliament House and the Secretariat buildings: These buildings are an interesting blend of Victorian and 20th century architecture and formed part of Lutyen’s plan for Delhi.
Sightseeing in Old Delhi will take you to:
• Raj Ghat: Mahatma Gandhi, one of the greatest freedom fighters of India was cremated here after his assassination in 1948.
• Jama Masjid: The largest mosque in India, it was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan in the 17th century. Constructed with red sandstone and marble, it stands testimony to the architectural skills of the Mughals.
• Chandni Chowk: Once an imperial avenue of Mughal royalty, Chandni Chowk is one of the busiest commercial areas of the city, where rickshaws jostle for space with cars, buses and people. Walk through the market for a flavour of an Indian bazaar.
At the end of the tour, you will be transferred back to your hotel. The tour ends at your hotel.
Please call the local activity operator at least 24 hours prior to the start of the tour to reconfirm the departure details.
Entrance fee to monuments are not included in the tour price.
Pick up and drop off is not included from NCR (National Capital Region) Hotels. If clients are staying in NCR hotels (Gurgaon, Faridabad and Noida) so there will be supplement of US$20 total for extra running of vehicle and taxes.
Red Fort remains closed on Monday
Guide –English speaking local guide for sightseeing.
You will travel in an air-conditioned medium-sized car if there are 1-2 passengers, Toyota Innova if there are 3 passengers and a Tempo Traveller if there are 4 - 7 passengers.
The confirmation voucher includes the local activity operator’s contact details and local telephone numbers at the destination. They will happily answer any logistical questions you may have.
A great tour around old and new Delhi. Very informative guide and driver. Not to be missed! Great value....
The coordination between the guide Ranajit Roy and the driver Narayan Bairwa was efficient so that we did not have to wait. Our guide Ranajit first discussed with us what we had...
While there are many considerations you’ll have to take when you travel, one that you mustn’t skimp on is your health.
A hub of culture, both old and new, Stockholm invites all types of traveller to its doorstep.
Venture into salt mines, ice caves and fortresses in these storybook surrounds
The post 7 Spellbinding Sights A Stones-Throw Away From Salzburg appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.