8 hoursStart time
8 hoursMeeting Point
Your hotel in Johannesburg.
(Please advise your hotel at the time of booking. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 24 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details. If your hotel is not a pick-up location, you will be advised of the closest pick-up point. Kindly reconfirm pick up upon arrival in Johannesburg with your local activity operator)
The tour ends at the starting point
Tucked away in the charming village of Cullinan, situated 30km east of Pretoria in Johannesburg, Cullinan Diamond Mine is South Africa’s largest and most productive mine. The mine gained world-wide attention with the discovery in 1905 of an incredible 3000 carat stone. Dubbed the Cullinan Diamond , it is the largest uncut diamond ever found. Take in the old-world charm of the place - its iron buildings, churches, miner’s houses, mine offices and others.
From the architectural splendour of South Africa's administrative capital, Pretoria, to the mesmerizing brilliance of diamonds, this tour is a must-do.
You will be picked up from your hotel/closest pick-up point and taken in an air-conditioned luxury vehicle for a sightseeing tour of Pretoria and the Cullinan Diamond Mine. A professional English-speaking guide will accompany you on this tour.
The first stop will will Pretoria. The highlights of this tour of the 'Jacaranda City' are:
• Voortrekker Monument: Prominently situated south of the city centre is the majestic Voortrekker Monument, built in 1949 to commemorate the Voortrekkers, or the pioneers, who in the mid 19th century pushed northward into unknown territory. It is a national icon for Afrikaans South Africans.
• Church Square: This is the historic centre of the city of Pretoria. Its most prominent feature is the statue of the Boer leader and president of the South African Republic Paul Kruger at its centre.
• City Hall: The City Hall in Pretoria is an imposing structure, one that occupies a whole block. It has an enormous clock-tower with 32 bells.
• State Theatre and Opera House: The State Theatre, one of the biggest theatres in the country, caters to opera, dance and music lovers. In a year, the State Theatre plays host to about more than 100 live performances and festivals, from ballet and opera to traditional African musicals.
• Sir Herbert Baker designed Union Buildings - the State President’s offices. The Union Buildings form the official seat of the South African government and also house the offices of the President of South Africa. The imposing buildings built from light sandstone were designed by the architect Sir Herbert Baker in the English monumental style.
Arrive at the mining village of Cullinan and set out on a surface tour of the still-functional Premier Diamond Mine.
Your tour starts of with a video introduction where the fascinating history of the mine and mining methods are explained to you.
You will next visit the village which was established in 1903 to provide mine housing and services for Premier Mine before passing through security, a necessary precaution when bearing in mind that this mine is still fully operational.
See the Diamond Room, which houses replicas of famous diamonds discovered in the mine such as the one that was used in the Crown Jewels. On display are all the various facets of diamond processing from it's raw state to the glittering end result that everyone is familiar with.
Move on to a model of an underground tunnel where the actual blasting process are displayed.
At the end of the tour, you will be dropped back at your hotel/closest drop-off point.
Please call the activity operator at least 24 hours prior to start of the tour for reconfirming the departure details between office hours 08:00am - 5:00pm. If you cannot do that and are in flight you can confirm via email a few days before the time.
The confirmation voucher includes the local activity operator’s contact details and local telephone numbers at the destination. They will happily answer any logistical questions you may have.
Public liability and passenger liability - R 50 Million
Very well organized Safe, secure and lot of fun a nd information...
We had a very enjoyable day.Our tour guide was excellent and a lot of fun. We were a little disappointed however that we did not go underground at the mine....
Completely Satisfied with this Tour...
Dancing dolphins, remote beaches to delicious smell of jumbo shrimps on ice! San Deigo offers it all
Making out with metronomes, reveries of a marsh mellow kingdom is all in a day’s work at the Edinburgh Fringe
Love coffee? Love to travel? Taste the best coffee in these destinations around the world
The post The Worlds Best Destinations For Those Addicted To Coffee appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.