8 hoursStart time
Start time: 0900h (09:00am)
Duration: 8 hours
Your hotel in Istanbul.
(We would require your hotel details in order to arrange your pick up. If you do not have this information at the time of booking, please contact the local activity operator at least 48 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details)
Your hotel in Istanbul
View the magnificent Hagia Sophia, with its great dome, the finest piece of Byzantine architecture in existence.
Enjoy the grace and harmony of the Blue Mosque with its ascending domes and slender minarets. And admire the magnificent Suleymanye Mosque with its elegantly understated interior.
See the Byzantine Hippodrome, a seriously 'happening' place in Byzantine times, and shop at the Grand Bazaar for souvenirs. Prepare to bargain hard!
Visit the Topkapi Palace for tantalising glimpses of the over-the-top opulence of the Sultan's court. Make sure you see the fantastic porcelain and imperial robes collections.
For your exciting Istanbul’s Historical Highlights Walking Tour, you will be picked up from your hotel by your (English-speaking guide) in an air-conditioned vehicle and driven to the old city center. Leaving the vehicle, you will set off on foot on a sightseeing tour of Istanbul.
Highlights of your exciting excursion include:
• Hagia Sophia (excluding the Gallery floor): Also known as Ayasofya or St Sophia, this is one of the greatest surviving examples of Byzantine architecture. Famous for its great dome and glorious mosaics, it has a checkered history. Originally built as a church, it was later converted into a mosque and is now a museum. On Mondays it is closed and the tour will visit Kariye (St. Savior in Chora) Museum instead.
• Kariye (St. Savior in Chora) Museum: (Mondays) The interior of this one-time church has stunning Byzantine mosaics.
• Topkapi Palace (excluding the Treasury and Harem sections): Built in the 15th century, this was the luxurious residence of the Ottoman Sultans for more than three centuries. Check out the fabulous porcelain collection in the Palace kitchens and the amazing display of sultans' robes.
• Sultanahmet Imperial Mosque: With its six graceful minarets and multiple domes, this is one of the best known features of Istanbul's skyline. Built by Sultan Ahmet I to rival Ayasofya, it is one of the finest examples of Ottoman architecture. (It's called the 'Blue Mosque' for the blue tiles in the upper part).
• Byzantine Hippodrome: Now a quiet public park, this was a lively place in Byzantine times. Great sports events and public celebrations were held here, as well as riots and protests. In the park you will see the 3500-year-old Egyptian granite Obelisk of Theodosius, the Serpentine Column (originally from Delphi in Greece), and the Fountain donated by Kaiser of Wilhelm II.
• The Grand Bazaar: In this labyrinth of streets and passages are more then 4,000 shops with each trade having its own area: the goldsmiths' street, the carpet sellers, Turkish arts and crafts, such as handpainted ceramic plates, hand- honed copperware, brassware and trays, water ewers, onyx- ware and meerschaum pipes.
At the end of the tour, you will board a vehicle and will be dropped off back at your hotel.
Please call the local activity operator at least 24 hours prior to the start of the tour to confirm all departure details.
Topkapi Palace will be closed every Tuesday
Grand Bazar will be closed every Sunday
On Mondays, when Hagia Sophia is closed, the tour will visit Kariye (St. Savior in Chora) Museum instead
Extra transfer cost is for only Asian Side Hotels, for every hotel in Europen Side arrange free.
The confirmation voucher includes the local activity operator’s contact details and local telephone numbers at the destination. They will happily answer any logistical questions you may have
You will be asked to remove your shoes when entering mosques
They were kind of late picking me up, but I think that was the fault of some other tour members who were not ready to go when they were supposed to be. My tour guide was...
Excellent tour where you get to see all the major/important sights. Rather than do on your own, you get a knowledgable guide who gives you all the background information you...
Our tour guide was wonderful. She was very knowledgeable about all the sites, patient with our children and very pleasant to be with....
While there are many considerations you’ll have to take when you travel, one that you mustn’t skimp on is your health.
A hub of culture, both old and new, Stockholm invites all types of traveller to its doorstep.
Venture into salt mines, ice caves and fortresses in these storybook surrounds
The post 7 Spellbinding Sights A Stones-Throw Away From Salzburg appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.