See the magnificent Library of Celsus and the Great Theater, largest in the ancient world. Imagine what it was like when the seats were filled for a drama or gladiatorial contest.
Find out about the sophistication of the ancient inhabitants of Ephesus. Double walls to keep out damp, well-organised public latrines and central heating are just some of the ways they made their lives more hygienic and comfortable.
Ephesus played a major role in early Christianity. Legend has it that both Mary the mother of Jesus and St. John spent time here. Visit the house where Mary is believed to have spent her last years and a ruined basilica said to mark the grave of St John.
4 hoursStart time
Start time: 0830h (08:30am)
Duration: 8 Hours (however this can be made longer or shorter depending on you)
Good news! You can get picked up from selected hotels, just give us the details at the time of booking. Don’t worry if you have not booked your hotel yet, our customer service executives will get in touch and confirm the details.
Your hotel in Kusadasi or Selcuk
For your fascinating Private Tour of Ephesus, you will be picked up from your hotel in Kusadasi, or Selcuk, in an air conditioned mini-bus.
With your English-speaking guide, you will set off for the ancient city of Ephesus. As this is a private tour, you can choose how much time you would like to spend at each place.
Ephesus is one of the best-preserved ancient cities on the Mediterranean. In the 1st century AD it was one of the largest cities in the world and played a significant role in the development of Christianity. The huge site you see see today has a very long history, going back to the time of the ancient Greeks, and contains a great number of ruins from the Roman period.
Highlights of your tour include:
• The Great Theater: The most magnificent structure in Ephesus, it is believed to be the largest outdoor theater in the ancient world with an estimated seating capacity of 25,000. It was used initially for drama and later for gladatorial combats.
• Library of Celsus: This beautiful building has a magnificent facade with two rows of columns, one on top of the other. It was constructed around AD 125 and once held nearly 12,000 scrolls. Interestingly, the building faces east so the reading rooms could catch the morning light and the structure had double walls to help keep out the damp.
• Marble Street: Also known as the Arcadian Way, this avenue connected the harbor to the Great Theater and the Library of Celsus.
• Roman Baths and Aqueducts: Various bath complexes were built while Ephesus was under Roman rule and the city had one of the most advanced water supply systems in the ancient world. Some houses even had piped hot water (using clay pipes) to provide central heating!
After exploring the ruined city, you will board your vehicle again to visit two important Christian sites:
• The Shrine of Virgin Mary: Located about 7km (4 miles) from Selçuk, this stone house is a sacred place for many Christians and Muslims who believe that Mary, the mother of Jesus, spent the last years of her life here.
• Ruins of the Basilica of St. John: A great church in Ephesus built by Emperor Justinian in the 6th century. It stands over the believed burial site of St. John, identified as the apostle, evangelist (author of the Fourth Gospel) and prophet (author of Revelation).
At the end of your fascinating tour you will be dropped off at your hotel in Kusadasi, or Selcuk.
Please email or send an sms the tour operator at least 72 hours prior to start of the tour to re-confirm. Details in your voucher.
Tokyo highs, see the Autumn colours!
Give thanks & keep on trekkin'!
The post What I’m Thankful for this Thanksgiving Celebration 2019: The Travel Edition appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.
No excuses not to travel solo now!!
The post 5 Reasons Why Travelling By Yourself Is A Good Idea appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.
Isango is the Zulu word for ‘gateway’. Think of us as your gateway to the world.
“Isango” is the Zulu word for ‘gateway’; think of us as your gateway to the world.isango! is a specialist retailer of tours, experiences and attraction tickets. We work across 300+ destinations with more than 10,000 experiences to choose from. Working alongside the best local operators from around the world, we curate travel content, products and services, ensuring our customers are well informed and easily able to choose the right experience for them. We deliver only the best to our customers, with all isango! products handpicked by our expert travel team.Love Orlando Tickets Paris Magic Moments Continue reading