Approx. 9.5 hoursStart time
Pick-up is from centrally located hotels in Fez.
(Please mention your hotel details at the time of booking. If your hotel is not a pick-up location, you will be advised of the closest pick-up point. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 48 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)
The tour ends at the starting point
Explore the former Imperial City of Meknes, hailed as the Versailles of Morocco. See its historical attractions such as the impressive ramparts, monumental gates and the Moulay Ismail mausoleum. At its height of glory, Meknes had no less than 50 palaces, 20 gates and a city wall that was 45 kilometres long.
Visit Volubilis with its impressive and well-preserved Roman ruins and spectacular mosaics. This UNESCO World Heritage Site of is one of the most important Roman sites in North Africa.
Journey to the holy town of Moulay Idriss, dramatically perched against the slope of Mount Zerhon, and take in the dramatic Moroccan landscape from here.
Discover the history and culture of Morocco on this sightseeing tour of Meknes.
You will be picked up from your centrally located hotel in Fez for a private sightseeing tour of Meknes. Set out in an air-conditioned minibus with your bilingual guide (English and French-speaking) and enjoy this day excursion from Fez.
The highlights of your tour are:
• Moulay Idriss: Named after the great grandson of prophet Mohammad and the one who brought Islam to Morocco, this small whitewashed town has a scenic location. It is the holiest town in Morocco. Perched against the slopes of rolling green hills, it offers panoramic views across to the town of Meknes. The town houses the shrine of Idriss I, who founded the Idriss dynasty in the 8th century.
• Volubilis: Continue towards the Roman ruins of Volubilis, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The ruins are a standing testimony to the grandeur of the former residence of King Juba II. A victory arch, an impressive basilica and spectacular mosaics make for a compelling sight.
Stop for lunch in Meknes at the Zitouna restaurant. Your menu consists of Moroccan salad, Tagine with chicken, lemons and olives, cheese of the countryside, fresh seasonal fruits, tea and pastry.
Arrive in Meknes and set out on a sightseeing tour of its famous attractions. You will be shown the following:
• Bab al Mansour: This monumental gate is one of the most beautiful gates in Morocco.
• Basin of Agdal: The stone-lined lake of Agdal was both a reservoir and a pleasure lake. It was used to water the royal gardens and amuse the favourite concubines. The basin still serves the function of being a local retreat, and families come out here frequently for picnics.
• Regional stud farm ‘Heri es Souani or the Imperial Stables: These ancient granaries are remarkable for their high-vaulted chambers with a series of storerooms.
• Méchouar: These are the impressive ramparts and walls surrounding the Royal Palace built by Moulay Ismail.
• Tomb of Moulay Ismail: The mausoleum of the most famous ruler of Meknes, this sanctuary is renowned for its healing powers. Women, in particular, flock to this holy shrine for blessings. Admire the mosaics, marble fountains, carved cedar ceilings and carpeted floors of the elegant courtyard.
• Souks: A must-see in any Moroccan town, these lively and traditional markets offer a wide range of wares from clothes, shoes, woodwork and carpets to an abundance of olives.
Your tour ends with a drop-off at your hotel or the closest drop-off point in Fez.
It is advisable to re-confirm the tour departure details 48 hours prior to the start of the tour as this tour has a minimum passenger requirement of 2 people, if this is not met the tour would either be rescheduled for another date or cancelled with a full refund
Identity papers are obligatory (passport or identity card).
The program can be modified in case of unpredictable events.
No alcohol is served at the restaurant.
Voucher information: You must print and surrender a paper version of your booking voucher for this activity (showing your voucher on a smartphone is not accepted). No refund can be given for customers without a printed copy of their voucher.
The confirmation voucher includes the local activity operator’s contact details and local telephone numbers at the destination. They will happily answer any logistical questions you may have.
We took two private day tours outside Fez to the Meknes/Volubilis and the Atlas Mountains. The tours were reasonably priced and we were very glad not to be driving! Our tour...
A really enjoyable day. We were picked up from the hotel and given a very informative our of the Roman ruins. Lunch was a highlight, served in a lovely restaurant, and in the...
Venture into salt mines, ice caves and fortresses in these storybook surrounds
The post 7 Spellbinding Sights A Stones-Throw Away From Salzburg appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.
What you don’t know about Europe’s beautiful and brutal city
Magic has no bounds so why should Disney?
The post The Most Magical Hotels To Stay In At Disneyland® Paris appeared first on The Guidebook - isango!.