San Francisco is an upbeat, forward-thinking city with a rich artisan culture. With a laid back atmosphere, beautiful coastlines and culinary delights, this is a perfect holiday destination. San Francisco, although a modern city, has plenty of historical landmarks which you will come to know on this tour.
Step onto a Segway and get ready for an exciting tour of San Francisco’s stunning waterfront. From the perspective of a pedestrian and with the speed of a bicycle you’ll see everything that San Francisco is known for: its beautiful harbors, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz and more.
The tour begins at the Segway Tours Training Facility located at 757 Beach Street near the corner of Beach and Hyde Street. You’ll take a 30 to 45 minute safety training before embarking on your Segway San Francisco Waterfront Tour. The training provides first-time riders with the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to safely operate the Segway.
You'll be guided through a simulated obstacle course of cones, turns, and an emergency stop to ensure a safe, enjoyable experience. The 30 to 45 minute training session includes:
• Hands-on training with an instructor
• Introductory video
• Test ride and skills review
• Rider courtesy instruction
• Rules of the road
Your English speaking guide will give you a narrated experience of this landmark-packed tour.
Your Segway San Francisco Waterfront Tour features spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay. This journey will take you past the following places:
• Municipal Pier and Aquatic Park: Aquatic Park was once known as Black Point Cove, a natural landmark. Today, it is a recreational complex. Municipal Pier was built in the early 1930s as a recreational pier. Today it is popular among joggers, fisher folk and tourists alike.
• Fisherman's Wharf: Fisherman’s Wharf is a neighborhood that is a popular venue for events as well as having great shopping and restaurants.
• Dungeness Crab Stands: Dungeness Crabs are a classic San Francisco fare. These crabs are renowned for their sweet, succulent meat. There is a wide array of dishes based on the Dungeness Crab in San Francisco restaurants.
• Cable Car turnaround: When you think of San Francisco, the first thing that often comes to mind is the red cable cars that this city is known for. Here you’ll see the cars negotiate in a coordinated turnaround.
• Ghirardelli Square: Ghirardelli Square is dominated by the enormous Ghirardelli Chocolate Company.
• National Maritime Museum: The National Maritime Museum, situated on the Bay, is a great educational
• Historic sailing ships at Hyde Street Pier: Some of the ships berthed at Hyde Street Pier are the Balclutha, an 1886 square rigged sailing ship, as well as C.A. Thayer, Eureka, Alma, Hercules, Eppleton and Hall.
• Alcatraz: Alcatraz, a small island in the San Francisco Bay has gone from being a lighthouse to a military fortification, to a military prison followed by a federal prison until 1963. It is now a historical site and recreation center.
• Fish Alley: Fish Alley is a bustling fish market in the Chinatown district of San Francisco.
• Fisherman's Chapel: The Fisherman’s Chapel honors fisher folk who have lost their lives at sea while attempting to bring sea food and fish to the San Francisco area.
• WWII Liberty Ship and Submarine Pampanito: These two vessels are authentic ships of war used in WWII that are now on display for educational tours.
On alternate days there is a different route used: the Run for the Palace Route. This journey starts the same as the San Francisco Waterfront Tour, but is a journey Westward from the Wharf area towards the Golden Gate Bridge. This tour includes:
• Marina District: Marina District is a colorful residential area in the north of San Francisco. You’ll see houseboats, as well as the pretty view of the sea and the Golden Gate Bridge.
• Yacht Harbors: See the glorious yachts berthed in the Yacht Harbors. These boats are an impressive indication of San Francisco’s high style and class.
• Marina Green: The Marina Green is a long stretch of greenery popular among joggers of turf frequented for the most part by runners. In a big metropolis this green expanse is a sight for sore eyes.
• Palace of Fine Arts: The Palace of Fine Arts is perched elegantly upon the shore of San Francisco Bay. It was designed in 1913 by Berkeley architect Bernard Maybeck.
The tour ends at the starting point, where you will be dropped off.
2.5 - 3 hours
01 Apr – 31 Oct: 9:00am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 2:00pm & 4:00pm
01 Nov – 31 Mar: 10:00am, 11:30am, 1:30pm & 3:00pm
Duration: 2.5 - 3 hours
The tour starts from the rear parking lot at 757 Beach Street near the corner of Hyde Street (Located across Beach Street from the Hyde Street Cable Car turn around in Fisherman’s Wharf. A Wells Fargo Bank ATM is at the entrance to our training area).
Please report at the meeting point 15 minutes before the start time. This is mandatory to allow time for pre-departure briefing.
The tour ends at the starting point
Remember your camera, as there will be plenty of opportunities for photography Dress in layers in comfortable, warm, wind resistant clothing Wear comfortable closed-toe flat shoes (no high heels, flip flops or sandals) Wearing the helmet and safety vest is mandatory Gloves are recommended during the winter months Leave bulky backpacks at home
To ride a segway....
You must be able to easily and quickly step on and off the Segway without assistance, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without any assistance or use of a handrail
You must be able to operate the steering control with your left hand
You must weigh between 100 and 250 pounds
You must to sign a liability waiver
You must to complete the Segway rider training and test ride
Pregnant women will not be permitted to participate
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled tour time to check in and start your tour and training on time! If you arrive late we will NOT let you join a tour group that has already started training - Safety and complete training for all of our guests are our 1st priority
See the Cancellation policy for this product