You will be picked up from the Achille Lauro Parking Area in Sorrento at 0810h (8:10am). Travelling by coach and accompanied by a guide you be taken to explore the ruins of the Roman city of Pompeii. One of the most important archaeological sites in Europe, Pompeii is deemed a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Pompeii was buried under lava and ash from Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and lay forgotten for hundreds of years. Your guide will take you along the ancient streets of Pompeii for a glimpse into the lives of the Romans.
The tour includes a guided visit to some well preserved structures, these may include:
• The Anfiteatro: The oldest known Roman amphitheatre, it was capable of holding upto 20,000 spectators.
• Terme Stabiane: A bath complex from the 2nd century BC.
• Lupanaro: Pompeii’s brothel has murals depicting the services offered.
• Villa dei Misteri: This structure has a beautiful fresco, the Dionysiac Frieze, spanning the walls of the dining room.
• Casa dei Vettii: The Villa of the Mysteries houses what some consider the greatest surviving group of paintings from the ancient world.
Continue to Mount Vesuvius, the only active volcano on the mainland of Europe. A coach will take you to within 1000 metres of the summit of Vesuvius, from where you can walk to the top and enjoy a panoramic view of the bay. A single plume of smoke still rises from the blackened crater, a silent reminder that the volcano is only sleeping.
After your visit to Vesuvius you will be returned to Sorrento, you will be dropped in the Achille Lauro Parking Area at around 1615h (4:15pm).