The commercial capital of India and home to India’s booming film industry, Mumbai pulsates with life as the sea of humanity that it is home to go about their daily chores. It is a city that never sleeps, where rags to riches stories are commonplace, where skyscrapers stand alongside shanties and which could rightly be called the melting pot of cultures within India.
This vibrant, bustling seaside city is home to some of India’s most identifiable landmarks: the iconic Gateway of India and the Marine Drive known as the ‘Queen’s Necklace’. This tour will show you the major attractions of the city. Don’t miss it.
You will be picked up from your hotel and taken for a sightseeing tour of the city in an air-conditioned vehicle. You will be accompanied by a local English-speaking guide. You will visit:
• The Gateway of India: An iconic landmark, this arched-yellow basalt gateway was built on the waterfront in 1942 to commemorate King George V’s visit to India. This is a favourite gathering spot for locals and visitors and boat rides start from here.
• Jain Temple: It was built in 1940 and is dedicated to the first Jain tirthankar (teacher).
• Hanging Gardens: Built on top of Malabar Hill, the gardens are picturesque though often quite crowded. You get splendid views of the city and the sea from here.
• Chowpatty: One of the famous beaches of Mumbai. Vendors sell street food here, and it is a popular gathering spot for the people.
• Mani Bhavan: This is the building where Mahatama Gandhi stayed during his visits to Mumbai between 1917-1943. Today it is a museum and you can see a photographic record of Gandhiji’s life here.
• Kamala Nehru Park: A beautiful garden that offers excellent views of the city.
Later drive past the The Afghan Church and the Secretariat of the Maharashtra Government along the beautiful Marine Drive also called the ‘Queen’s Necklace’ because of its shape. Drive past Haji Ali mosque, a shrine built in honour of a Muslim saint on an island 500 metres out at sea and linked to the mainland by a causeway. Stop at Dhobi Ghat where some 5000 men wash clothes daily. It is an unforgettable sight. Continue to Crawford Market and then Flora Fountain in the heart of the city. This is a commercial area with many offices.
After this city tour, you will be dropped off to your hotel where the tour ends.
It was an enjoyable and informative experience - The tour guide was very knowledgeable and pleasant lady to be with.... celsa l menzies
Start time: 0900h (09:00am)
Duration: 4 hours
Your hotel in Mumbai.
(Please advise your hotel at the time of booking. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 24 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)
Your hotel in Mumbai
Do carry a camera as there will be many photo opportunities on this tour
Please call the local activity operator at least 24 hours prior to the start of the tour to reconfirm the departure details.
See the Cancellation policy for this product