The tour starts at Plaza Sant Jaume in the city centre. The tour starts with a brief introduction before heading for the shop to get the bikes.
The tours follow carefully planned routes, avoiding busy streets and traffic and riding mainly on bike paths, down Gothic alleyways, through parks and along the beach, so just pedal and enjoy the ride!
Highlights of the tour include:
• Plaça Sant Jaume: Located at the centre of the original Roman settlement of Barcino, this plaza is home to the Ajuntament (City Hall) and Palau de la Generalitat (seat of the Catalan regional government).
• Plaça del Rei: This wholly preserved medieval courtyard of the Palau Reial (Royal Palace) is where Ferdinand and Isabella are supposed to have received Columbus on his return from the New World.
• La Catedral: This impressive Catalan gothic church is built on the site of a Roman temple and houses the tomb of Saint Eulàlia, the first patron saint of Barcelona.
• Palau de la Mùsica Catalana: One of the world’s most extraordinary concert halls, the Palace of Catalan Music was designed in the Catalan modernism style by the architect Lluís Domènech i Montaner.
• La Sagrada Familia: Designed by Antonio Gaudi, it is an amazing piece of architecture that remains unfinished even after 100 years. Marvel at the expressionist artwork of the cathedral and its Nativity Façade where the theme of Christ’s birth and childhood is depicted.
• Parc de la Ciutadella: After the War of the Spanish Succession ended in 1714, a large fort was constructed on this site to keep the city in line. The fortress was demolished in 1869 and redesigned as a park containing a zoo, a boating lake, gardens and a large fountain worked on by architect Antonio Gaudi.
You will also see - Arc del Triomf, Vila Olímpica, Barceloneta beach, Port Vell, El Borne, Basílica de la Santa Maria del Mar and much more! Late in the tour, stop at an outdoor beach bar and enjoy the opportunity to mingle with your fellow bikers, while taking in the sights and atmosphere of the Mediterranean. You can also go for a dip in the sea.
After exploring the sites of Barcelona, you will return back to the starting point of the tour.