You will be picked up from your hotel/closest pick-up point and taken in a luxury air-conditioned vehicle for a sightseeing tour of Johannesburg and Soweto. A professional English-speaking guide will accompany you on this tour.
The highlights in Johannesburg include:
• Downtown Johannesburg historical buildings
• Hillbrow Tower, the highest structure in Johannesburg, and probably the city's most recognisable landmark
• Views from ‘The Top of Africa’ at Carlton Centre
• Travel past Brixton Tower, an affluent suburb of Houghton
• Supreme Court
• Museum Africa (time permitting)
• Nelson Mandela Bridge in Newtown, the longest bridge in South Africa
• Fully guided tour of Constitution Hill (South Africa's Constitutional Court and Old Fort Prison).
The tour will then continue to the neighbouring township of Soweto, situated just 15 kilometres southwest of Johannesburg.
Your coach will drive you past African merchants of traditional medicines, a typical four-roomed dwelling, an informal settlement, affluent suburbs, a creche and an old-age home.
The other highlights of this tour include:
• Mandela House: This is a small house where Nelson Mandela lived with his first wife. See a collection of memorabilia, paintings and photographs of the Mandela family.
• Hector Peterson Memorial: A tribute to the 13-year old boy who was killed during the student uprising in Soweto.
• Celebrity houses in a plush suburb called Beverly Hills, where Soweto's professionals live, from attorneys, doctors, journalists, teacher, social workers and musicians to sports personalities.
Your visit will also include a full view of Soweto from the vicinity of Baragwanath Hospital, the largest in the world.
There will a stop at a typical ‘shebeen’ (tavern) for refreshments (own expense).
At the end of the tour, you will be dropped back at your hotel/closest drop-off point.