Your super-value Amsterdam City Tour & Keukenhof Combo shows you not only the highlights of Amsterdam but also one of the world’s most famous gardens.
Amsterdam is The Netherlands’ largest city. Settled as a small fishing village in the late 12th century, it became one of the world’s most important ports during the Dutch Golden Age. The wealth acquired in that time left a legacy of stunningly beautiful buildings and great art.
On your sightseeing tour, you will see many of the city highlights. These include:
• The neo-classical Royal Palace, on Dam Square, which served as the city hall from 1655 until it was turned into a royal residence in 1808;
• The National Monument, a white stone pillar erected in 1956 to commemorate the victims of World War II;
• The famous “Skinny Bridge”, a typical Dutch wooden lifting bridge. Originally very narrow, the bridge has been widened over the years, but it remains one of Amsterdam’s most photogenic bridges.
• The gorgeous gabled canal-side houses built by wealthy merchants
• The bustling Albert Cuyp street market.
After the city tour, you will visit the glorious spring gardens of Keukenhof, (the name means “Kitchen Garden” in Dutch because the area was once a source of herbs for a grand castle). Keukenhof is also known as “The Garden of Europe” and the 32-hectare park is the world’s largest flower garden.
Keukenhof is renowned for its springtime flowers – approximately 7 million bulbs are planted annually. Wander along winding paths past sparkling streams, pretty ponds and a breath-taking array of blooms. A fresh display of spectacular blooms will be waiting for you around every corner.
You will have around 3 hours to relax in the beautiful surroundings of Keukenhof before boarding your coach for the return journey to Amsterdam!