See the soul of Morocco on this sightseeing tour of Fez, the spiritual and cultural capital of this North African country for more than 1000 years. It is one of the largest medieval cities in the world.
The Medina of Fez, a network of winding alleys, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Savor its vibrant atmosphere that has remained almost unchanged down the centuries. In the heart of the Medina is the oldest Islamic University in the world, the magnificent Karaouine Mosque.
Shop for clothes, woodwork, spices and leather in the city’s many souks (open-air markets) and watch local craftsmen at work.
You will be picked up from your centrally located hotel in Fez in an air-conditioned minibus. A bilingual guide (English and French-speaking) will accompany you on this tour.
The highlights include:
• Andalusia Mosque: This stunning mosque is easily definable by its imposing green and white minaret. Built at the end of the 9th century by a woman, its wood carvings are exquisite.
• Tanners’ District: One of the main attractions of Fez, the tanners’ quarters is where leather is produced using the same centuries-old methods. You can get a bird’s eye view from the raised platform and watch the entire process.
• El-Attarine Madrasa or the Medersa Attarine: Visit Fez’s most popular attraction, the El-Attarine Madrasa in the heart of the city, built in 1325. See the fine examples of Merenid craftsmanship around the madrasa, especially the stucco and cedar wood carvings on the ceiling.
• Karaouine Mosque: One of the biggest religious structure in Morocco, this mosque lies in the heart of the medina. The university attached to the mosque has been the centre of Islamic learning in Morocco for more than 1000 years.
• Azouia Moulay Idriss: The tomb of Moulay Idris is a highly revered shrine. At the entrance, women pass offerings through a hatch, which is also as close as a non-Muslim can get.
• Place Nejjarine: A beautiful fountain can be seen at the Place Nejjarine, a square deep in the heart of the medina. It is also home to the Nejjarine Museum of Wood and carpentry and showcases Fez’s renowned wood-carving tradition. See exquisite furniture, thrones and objects of everyday use. Nearby is the souk of the carpenters.
The tour breaks for lunch at the Dar Salma or El Fassia restaurants in the Medina. Your menu consists of a mixed Moroccan salad, Couscous with meat and vegetables, Briouates Farsi with rice, fruits of the season, tea and Moroccan pastry.
After lunch, continue with your guided exploration of the attractions outside Fez.
The highlights of this tour include:
• Gates: Royal Palace, Bab Boujloud: The Bab Boujloud gate is the most famous gate in Morocco. It is also the main entrance to the Medina. See the striking blue and green colors that cover either side of this monumental gate. The Royal Palace is one of the most elegant structures in Morocco with a huge and impressive gate.
• Tombs of the Merenid Dynasty: Get spectacular views over the city from this resting place of the Merenid Sultans who played a crucial role in making Fez the cultural and religious capital of Morocco. The ruins are a great place to take in the sprawling vistas of the Medina below.
• District of the potters: See where the world-famous cobalt blue enameled pottery is made.
Your tour ends with a drop-off at your hotel or the closest drop-off point in Fez.
When I made the 24hr confirmation call, I was worried that the booking seemed not to have got through to the local guide however after a few calls things got sorted. After this... Martin Venn
Approx. 8 hours
Start time: 0900h (09:00am)
Duration: Approx. 8 hours
Pick-up is from centrally located hotels in Fez.
(Please mention your hotel details at the time of booking. If your hotel is not a pick-up location, you will be advised of the closest pick-up point. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 48 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)
The tour ends at the starting point
There are plenty of photo opportunities on this tour, so don’t forget your camera. Dress in comfortable clothes. Carry sunblock and a hat
It is advisable to re-confirm the tour departure details 48 hours prior to the start of the tour as this tour has a minimum passenger requirement of 6 people, if this is not met the tour would either be rescheduled for another date or cancelled with a full refund
Identity papers are obligatory (passport or identity card).
The program can be modified in case of unpredictable events.
Voucher information: You must print and surrender a paper version of your booking voucher for this activity (showing your voucher on a smartphone is not accepted). No refund can be given for customers without a printed copy of their voucher.
See the Cancellation policy for this product