Explore historic Naples and take a trip back to the summer of AD 79 when Mount Vesuvius erupted and buried the Roman city of Pompeii.
First, take time out in Naples – the vibrant capital of Campania and a city of contrasts. See its elegant palaces and grand piazzas. Then stroll its narrow, cobbled streets, where washing flutters above you and beautiful churches jostle for space between tiny shops and bars.
Later, journey to ancient Pompeii to see a city frozen in time. Glimpse the minute details of the every day lives of its inhabitants. Sense the panic they felt on the day of the disastrous eruption. Marvel at the remarkable preservation of the villas, streets, mosaics and frescos.
You will be picked up from your hotel or cruise ship in Sorrento in a private air-conditioned car for your Private Naples City Sightseeing and Pompeii Tour . A private guide in your preferred language (Italian, English, German, French or Russian) will accompany you throughout the tour.
You will travel into the sprawling, vibrant town of Naples for a visit lasting approximately 5 hours. The drive takes approximately 1 hour 10 minutes. You’ll be given a guided tour of the historic city, and then have free time to look around on your own.
While exploring, you can take time to relax in one of the excellent cafes or sample some of the renowned Neapolitan cuisine. Naples is the home of the pizza! (Meals and snacks are payable direct.)
Some major monuments you may see include: (please note no entrance fees are included).
• Piazza Plebiscito: The most magnificent square in Naples, built in the form of an amphitheater and surrounded by wonderful buildings. It is named for the 1860 plebiscite that brought Naples into the unified Kingdom of Italy.
• Fortress of Maschio Angioino: Named after Charles I of Anjou, this great castle was begun in the late 13th century and modified later. A magnificent Triumphal Arch was added in the 15th century.
• Castel dell’Ovo: This means ‘Egg Castle’ in Italian. A 15th century structure on an island site that has been fortified since Roman times. The island is now joined to the mainland by a causeway.
• Capodimonte Museum: A grand Bourbon palace, formerly the summer home of the Kings of the Two Sicilies. It now contains Naples’ main museum and art gallery.
• Archaeological Museum: Houses many masterpieces of the ancient civilized world, including statues, paintings, mosaics, papyri, jewelry, coins and household items from Pompeii and Herculaneum.
After seeing the fascinating collection of Pompeian objects in the museum you will be keen to visit the place itself. The drive to Pompeii is approximately 30 minutes. Your guided tour of Pompeii is approximately 2 hours.
Pompeii is one of Italy’s most precious archeological sites and incredibly well preserved. Ancient Pompeii was wiped off the map in 79 AD – buried under 6 meters of volcanic ash – and was not re-discovered till nearly 1700 years later.
Although most of the Pompeii’s 20,000 inhabitants did not survive, much of their city did. This UNESCO World Heritage site has been carefully excavated to reveal its former glory.
The legacy of the disastrous eruption is an extraordinary insight into Roman life. You will stroll down streets grooved by chariot wheels, see stunning mosaics and murals in the villas and walk around the public baths. An ancient brothel is testament to the fact that the ‘oldest profession’ was actively pursued in wealthy Pompeii.
After this amazing trip into the past, you will be taken back to your hotel/cruise ship in Sorrento, where your tour ends.
Approx. 8-9 hours
Start time: Your preferred start time
Duration: Approx. 8-9 hours
Your hotel or cruise ship in Sorrento. (Please mention your hotel details at the time of booking. Alternatively, please mention the name and docking details of your cruise ship. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 24 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)
Your hotel or cruise ship in Sorrento
Remember your camera Wear comfortable shoes Bring sunscreen and a sunhat
Entrance fee to Pompeii (approximately €11) is not included and must be paid on the day of the tour
Most cruise companies arrange their schedule so that ships dock around 0800h – 1200h to ensure that customers can have a full day’s sightseeing in the resort.
Guides are available in a range of languages (Italian, English, German, French. Russian is available on request). However, these are private tours, therefore the guide will be speaking only one language.
Please call the activity operator at least 24 hours prior to start of the tour for reconfirming departure details.
See the Cancellation policy for this product