The tour starts from the Star Hotel Terminus. Travel in an air-conditioned coach, accompanied by an English-speaking guide. You will be taken to the ruins of the Roman city of Pompeii. One of the most important archaeological sites in Europe, Pompeii is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Pompeii was buried under lava and ash from Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD and lay forgotten for hundreds of years. Excavations began in the 18th century and are still being carried out. Your guide will take you along the ancient streets of Pompeii for a glimpse into the lives of the Romans. See baths, forums and villas and marvel at the impressive frescoes which adorned the villas.
Your guided tour of the ruins includes a visit to some well preserved structures:
• The Anfiteatro: The oldest known Roman amphitheatre, it was capable of holding up to 20,000 spectators.
• Terme Stabiane: A bath complex from the 2nd century BC.
• Lupanaro: Pompeii’s brothel has murals depicting the services offered.
• Villa dei Misteri: This structure has a beautiful fresco, the Dionysiac Frieze, spanning the walls of the dining room.
• Casa dei Vettii: The Villa of the Mysteries houses what some consider the greatest surviving group of paintings from the ancient world.
At the end of the tour you will be returned to Naples. You will be dropped at the Star Hotel Terminus.