Set out on an excursion of Bergamo and spend some time at Piazza Vecchia, the historical and religious centre of the old town. Piazza Vecchia is enriched by such remarkable historical monuments as the Palazzo del Comune, Palazzo della Ragione, the Cathedral, St. Maria Maggiore, the Colleoni Chapel and the Baptistery. Appreciate the Renaissance paintings inside the Cathedral of Bergamo and the architecture of the Colleoni Chapel. Sip your coffee at one of the cafes on the square and soak in the old-world aura of Bergamo!
You will be picked up from Milan, Foro Bonaparte 76 (MM1 Cairoli) at 1400h (2:00pm). Accompanied by a guide, you will be taken on a coach tour of Bergamo. Bergamo is about 52 kilometers from the city of Milan.
You have the opportunity to admire one of the most beautiful medieval and Renaissance city centre in the upper town of Bergamo. Visit Piazza Vecchia, the heart of the old town and you will come across historical and religious monuments such as:
• Palazzo del Comune: It is a high tower in Piazza Vecchia. Adorned by an 18th century fountain, this square is a Renaissance space in Bergamo.
• Palazzo della Ragione: It is the most ancient monument of Piazza Vecchia, built towards the end of 1100 AD and rebuilt in the second half of the 16th century after a fire. In its façade, you will see the lion of St Mark, a testimony to the long domination by Venice. Inside the building, you will come across some traces of murals, while the upper room houses exhibitions and events.
• The Cathedral: The Cathedral of Bergamo is dedicated to Sant’Alessandro, the patron saint of Bergamo, since 1638. In the first chapel, you will come across the masterpiece ‘St. Benedict and Saints’ by Italian Renaissance painter, Andrea Previtali. Admire the painting of ‘St. Alessandro’ by Carlo Innocenzo Carloni. Look at the wooden intaglio panels by Johann Karl Sanz in the choir area.
• St Maria Maggiore: The basilica of St. Maria Maggiore was founded in the 12th century on the site of another church from 8th century dedicated to St. Mary. The beautiful edifice was restored and modified in the 17th century.
• Colleoni Chapel: It is a mausoleum in Bergamo built in the 15th century as the personal shrine of mercenary leader, Bartolomeo Colleoni and his beloved daughter Medea. See his tomb on the wall facing the entrance, decorated with reliefs of the stories of Jesus Christ, statues and heads of lions. Marvel at the amazing façade characterized by polychrome marble decorations in white, red and black.
• Baptistery: The baptistery is an octagonal building, originally in Santa Maria Maggiore and was re-erected in 1898 right next to the Colleoni Chapel.
After exploring Piazza Vecchia of Bergamo, you will be transferred back to the starting point of the tour.
A very nice tour with a knowledgeable guide.... Karen Amundsen
Tour was done in a professional way. Would have like to have morning tea included... Irene Demetriou
Departure time: 1400h (02:00pm)
Duration: 5 hours
The tour departs from Foro Bonaparte 76, 20121 (MM1 Cairoli), Milano. It's 100 meters away from Cairoli train station.
Please report at the meeting point 15 minutes before the start time. This is mandatory to allow time for pre-departure briefing.
The tour returns to the starting point
Wear comfortable shoes, since the tour involves a fair bit of walking. You need to be properly dressed to visit the religious sites.
Please call the activity operator at least 24 hours prior to start of the tour to reconfirm the departure details.
Please reach the start point at least 10 minutes before departure time.
Carry your Isango! voucher on the tour.
Please provide date of birth of child on the booking.
See the Cancellation policy for this product