Travel to a few of the Provence region’s oldest and most charming cities, stepping into the frame of Vincent Van Gogh’s most celebrated paintings.
Take in the Roman architecture in the UNESCO World Heritage City of Arles and sit in the café that Van Gogh eternalized in subdued yellows and oranges under a brilliant night sky.
Lunch at the top of a rocky spur in the medieval village of Les Baux de Provence, which seems fixed in an earlier time, and visit an olive farm where you are treated to some of Provence’s finest olive oils.
As evening falls, take a scenic mountain drive to Saint Rémy de Provence, where Van Gogh’s Starry Night was born.
Your driver/guide will pick you up in an air-conditioned coach/ vehicle for this Footsteps of Van Gogh Tour. Your guide speaks French and English.
Drive across the scenic Crau Plain to the Unesco World Heritage city of Arles on the banks of the Grand Rhône River, where you will take in the following sites:
• Coliseum: Once the Roman forum of Arles, the coliseum now hosts the best bull fighters this side of Madrid.
• Ancient Theater: Two Corinthian columns are all that remain of this once great theater, which was built by the Roman Emperor Augustus in the 1st century and entertained crowds of up to 20,000 in its prime.
• Church of Saint Trophime: Built on the site of the 5th century basilica of Arles, this Roman Catholic sanctuary is a standout example of Romanesque architecture and shelters a famous sculpture of the Last Judgment.
• Forum Square: Site of a masterly statue of Frédéric Mistral, a famous French poet and key figure in the revival of Provencal language and literature.
• Van Gogh’s Bridge: Formerly the Langlois Bridge, the overpass became known to locals as Van Gogh’s Bridge after his vibrant rendering of it in The Langlois Bridge at Arles with Women Washing.
• Hotel Dieu: Van Gogh was a patient at this former hospital and put it on the map with his bleak, wintry depiction of its courtyard.
• Van Gogh’s Café: Scene of the painter’s immortal Café Terrace at Night, one of the most remarkable works in Van Gogh’s all-too-brief career.
• Abbey of Montmajour: Just outside of Arles, on the road to Les Baux de Provence, you will stop at this fortified Benedictine Monastery, which was an important pilgrimage site during the Middle Ages and houses an underground crypt.
• Mill of Daudet: French novelist Alphonse Daudet alludes to this lonesome windmill in his famous Lettres de Mon Moulin.
Stop for lunch in the perched village of Les Baux de Provence, a ghostly medieval remnant that offers spectacular views of the Provence countryside
Visit an olive farm in Les Baux and learn from its proprietors about the delicate process of making olive oil. Finish the day with a tasting of the regional oils that have made Provence famous.
Close the day with a memorable drive through the Alpilles mountains to the picturesque village of Saint Rémy de Provence, where Van Gogh turned his eyes to the night sky and was moved to create Starry Night.
Your driver will drop you back at your hotel/pick up point in Marseille at tour’s end.
This is a private tour for no more than 8 people. We only had 5 people in our group. It was still a great value with only 5 people. You can walk at your own pace and customize...Rebecca Liggin
The tour is very meaningful and worth a visit. It is really unimaginable I can have a touch on the monuments that are created 2000 years ago before Christ was born in a little...Wong Wai Man
We were satisfied 100 % of our day with our guide. The car was clean and on time and we received a lot of explanation...André Dagenais
Regular Tour: Wednesday
Private Tour: Daily
Approx. 9 hours
Regular Tour: 0900h (09:00am)
Private Tour: 0800h (08:00am)
Duration: 9 hours
Coach Tour: Departs from Hotel Radisson Blu Marseille Vieux Port (38 Quai Rive Neuve 13007 Marseille).
Please report at the meeting point 15 minutes before the start time. This is mandatory to allow time for pre-departure briefing.
Private Tour: Departs from your hotel in Marseille.
(We would require your hotel details in order to arrange your pick up. If you do not have this information at the time of booking, please contact the local activity operator at least 48 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details).
Your pick-up point.
Do remember your camera
Please call the activity operator at least 24 hours prior to start of the tour for reconfirming departure details
A minimum of 2 persons required for guaranteed departure. If minimum requirement is not fulfilled, we offer alternative tours for the same day or same tour for an alternative dates according to our planning or refund.
Please advice presence of minor (0-3yrs) traveler upon reservation so we can provide a booster-seat.
See the Cancellation policy for this product