01 Oct - 31 May: Daily except MondayDuration
8 hoursStart time
Start time: 0900h (09:00am)
Duration: 8 hours
Your hotel in Mumbai.
(Please advise your hotel at the time of booking. If you do not have this information now, please contact the local activity operator 24 hours prior to the start of the tour with these details.)
Your hotel in Mumbai
A major attraction near the city are the rock-cut temples on Elephanta Island. Hewn out of solid rock, the sculptures are said to have been carved between 450-470 AD. There is one main cave with many carvings of the Hindu God Shiva, apart from other caves.
This tour will show you the attractions of Mumbai and the Elephanta Caves. Don’t miss it.
You will be picked up from your hotel early in the morning and taken to the to Gateway of India in an air-conditioned vehicle to board a motorboat to Elephanta Island. The journey takes about an hour. You will be accompanied by a local English-speaking guide on this tour.
Upon reaching the island, disembark and explore the caves which are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. See the main cave which has many sculptures of the Hindu God Shiva in various poses. Don’t miss the famous Trimurti sculpture depicting Shiva with three heads, symbolic of him as the Creator, Preserver and Destroyer. See the carved panels and the sculptures of various other Gods and Goddeses and listen to your guide tell you more about the history of the caves.
Return to Mumbai.
Then proceed on a sightseeing tour of the city. Some of the attractions you may see are:
• The Gateway of India: An iconic landmark, this arched-yellow basalt gateway was built on the waterfront in 1942 to commemorate King George V’s visit to India. This is a favourite gathering spot for locals and visitors and boat rides start from here.
• Jain Temple: It was built in 1940 and is dedicated to the first Jain tirthankar (teacher).
• Hanging Gardens: Built on top of Malabar Hill, the gardens are picturesque though often quite crowded. You get splendid views of the city and the sea from here.
• Chowpatty: One of the famous beaches of Mumbai. Vendors sell street food here, and it is a popular gathering spot for the people.
• Mani Bhavan: This is the building where Mahatama Gandhi stayed during his visits to Mumbai between 1917-1943. Today it is a museum and you can see a photographic record of Gandhiji’s life here.
• Kamala Nehru Park: A beautiful garden that offers you excellent views of the city.
Later drive past the The Afghan Church and the Secretariat of the Maharashtra Government along the beautiful Marine Drive also called the ‘Queen’s Necklace’ because of its shape.
After this city tour, you will be dropped off to your hotel where the tour ends.
Please call the local activity operator at least 24 hours prior to the start of the tour to reconfirm the departure details.
Elephanta Caves remains closed on Mondays and the tour is not available during monsoon & tides in the sea
Had a great time, guide was fantastic and well knowledged on the subjects at hand....Elizabeth G Royle
Very well organised and interesting tour. The guide was very well informed and spoke English very well....Mr Stephen J Owen